20 November 2007

malaria, an ode to

I returned from my month long vacation with good intent. I had a few bottles of Cutty Sark, a big book of crossword puzzles and two-and-a-half books that everybody wants me to read. Bombay suddenly didn't appear as big, smelly and dark as it normally does. Add to that the fact that I just got myself a new toy (the iPod touch), the prospects of an evening alone wasn't all that dreadful anymore.

Then Plasmodium Falciparum happened to me. Also known as, the bad malaria.

All it takes is a couple of mosquitoes to spread this rather aggressive strain of the disease. This one is known to affect the vital organs i.e. the liver, lungs, heart, kidneys and the cottage piano (the other organ that men keep fantasising about using, isn't apparently that vital).

I was immobile without food and drink and very high fever for three days before I had the sense to call a friend who took me for the tests. Post that I was shifted to my cousin's place, where I am being pampered. And I think I deserve it. Though I feel a lot better now, my blood reports are still not up to the mark. The doctor keeps glancing up from them and gives me an odd look that seems to say, "How come this one's still alive?"

The year just doesn't seem to end.

That's 'Off the Mark', one of my favourite cartoon strips by Mark Parisi. Introduced to me by someone special, not too long ago. I don't know where she is now.

21 comments:

x said...

i'm sorry phish! get well soon and rest, with your ipod next to you :)
download some podcasts to keep you company. Hugs x

Anonymous said...

stupid malaria makes us miss coming here. stupid malaria.

Miss Iyer said...

Aww. I hope you get better very very soon. I wanna keeping reading what you write, so you better keep well! :)

Devil Mood said...

Oh no :( that's terrible!!
I'm glad someone is looking after you, that's very scary!

I hope you get well very soon but I see your sense of humour wasn't taken away.

Take care, Phish!

Anonymous said...

If you look hard enough,you just might see that elusive silver lining. Malaria..delirium...great leaps in the creative process leading to fantastic blog updates...almost seems worth the fever and chills or not..I'm guessing not. Get well soon.

phish said...

chloe - yup am downloading podcasts. this one has a built in browser so, even better.

gaizabonts - stupid it is. just when i was getting into the zone, this had to happen. and i am tired of making promises to be regular.

miss iyer - you most certainly will. just like i will read yours. just give me a little more time to recuperate.

devilmood - missed you too. and you take away my sense of humour you take away life. i have nothing else, really.

anon - silver lining? alas, am not that sensitized. especially after a plethora of drugs are frying your liver. keats i am not. he died way too early. and i haven't seen ireland yet.

scribbleamus said...

Get well soon.

Anonymous said...

Don't underestimate the drug-induced stupor, mon ami...what messes up the mind may also unlock some hidden treasure trove of clever alliterations and the like. Remember kubla khan?'Twas the poppies that did it...O ye of little faith...wait till the meds take over...

Anonymous said...

u deserve to be as sick as u are for not calling someone sooner. i'm sure u were enjoying wallowing.

Smiling Dolphin said...

liked your article in Campaign on 20-20. You made a good point, lynn

A Arora said...

thanks for the comment on my page. 'the year just doesn't seem to end'..i second that!

phish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
phish said...

scribbleamus - thank you. i am better already. contemplating a cigarette as i write this.

anon - the meds have gone. this time round the dreams were tarantinesque, which is not such a good thing when you are sleeping next to dad.

meghna - lack of sheer strength. self pity and a head full of sickness are two completely different things.

dolphin - thanks a ton for the kind words. i see you have been to the other blog.

tell me - i will go there again. so stop thanking me for commenting on your blog.

madelyn said...

How are you doing sweetie?

If I was there I would pamper you and
read to you:)

And make you peppermint tea:)

Neville said...

Dude... ahem ahem...

phish said...

maddie - peppermint tea is my favourite. you are here already in your blog. and that's enough really.

neville - ?

dharmabum said...

its a privilege to have someone taking care of us when we are sick. it can get quite depressing, nursing ourselves...take care.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! I hope you are feeling better already.

Nisha said...

its fun to be sick sometimes...but only whn u r at home!!and u can eat everything!
love the cartoon

Mystique said...

shit malaria....shit, incarceration.......u are tres tres brave to survive that....
but what the hell, a few good books+ lotsa chocolate and you're fixed!

Anonymous said...

missing your view of the world...