13 January 2008

of mechanisms and pain

The year has just slipped into it's 14th day. And there are tremendous scenes of mayhem unfolding in front of me. Caused by deadlines, egos and lots of real money at stake. My pledge to lie low in my pyjamas and eat lotuses, has been nipped in the bud. If you excuse my informal attire and the bad pun, you might actually see me fade.

But I am doing good. I manage to look lost for 12 hours a day. My lies sound better. My ability to divert attention from the real crises by pointing at random directions is being accepted. Being in this business teaches you a lot of things. Firstly, to bend the rules. To not conform to any given set of ideals. That's the way to a great creative product. But there are other things I have picked up roadside that are just as useful. Like the conviction to sell anything as long as its done by you. Or the ability to actually converse with a real model. And pretending to be genuinely interested in her chipped fingernail. Complete with aahs and oohs. Timed to perfection.

I am glad though that I am where I am. I don't think I am qualified to do anything else. I mean, I don't understand too many things about the world. I don't understand money. Or politics. Or why Obama will be better. Women for that matter. Or how the world's cheapest car can actually help a country with no roads. I am quite the fool really. And the fact that there are real people demanding solutions from me to sell their crappy product and make real money, scares the kidneys out of me.

My beautiful Sunday has just come to an end. Did nothing but drink a lot of wine and stare at an empty page for the greater part of the day. This campaign that will get me nowhere. I stopped now once the wooden letters on the Word document angrily started re-arranging themselves.

It must be the antibiotics.

That's Dilbert by the way. By Scott Adams. Check out his blog here.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just brought me a cup of tea as soon I saw another post come up here. I didn't even get past a sip and your post is done. A whole Sunday was lived through.:))

Devil Mood said...

The truth is there are crazy people everywhere and having to work around them has made me pretty coockoo myself.
The extra skills you've developed to deal with them are admirable, although that concept of having to be different to protect ourselves from others is really scary.

lol @ the cartoon ;)

kimananda said...

I appreciate the cartoon/post juxtapositions that you set up so well. But what a day you're having, it sounds like many days in a row. :-o

phish said...

educatedunemployed - you always sound happier in my blog than yours. i will try and write longer to suit your cuppa :)

devilmood - your new blog template is lovely. i have left my tuppence about the colours though. ignore it if you get something better. and yes, it is scary. what is scarier still, is the fact that we are completely comfortable doing it.

kimananda - heh. they are. writing lines that sell soap can be very taxing indeed. i am so glad you stopped by.

Anonymous said...

Is this thing supposed to tell me that my comment is now in queue or something of the sort?

Did my previous repeat comments come thru?

madelyn said...

Personally I just love staring
into space with a cup of
chai or wine:)

--Sunrise-- said...

Best of luck with your work! Heck, I should be doing mine right now....

scribbleamus said...

words re-arrange themselves all the time. after wine. :)
btw..killed my blog.
(ran out of wine)

phish said...

gaizabonts - repeat comments? er...no. seeing you after awhile here.

madelyn - i know. got myself a load of aromatic chais from uttarakhand. wish i could send some to you.

sunrise - heh. yes, i am sure. but for awhile, you can ignore it. always actually.

scribbleamus - i will send you all the wine you want. don't.

Mystique said...

by all means, bend the rules, don't conform to anything except what you think you should be, and sometimes not even that......
a whole sunday gone....just like that??
it's sad.....but it happens.....
loved the uttarkhand photos....i must worship you....
went on a night trip to a souq with my dslr, out of 80-odd photos i took, about 10 came focused, and the ones i'd actually composed well were just that little bit blurred to ruin it.....i think the camera's too heavy for me....

SG said...

Awesome blog.

KISS - Keepin it Simple and Short !

Anonymous said...

That was meant as a compliment, not a request or a complaint. Again not complaining in view of more to read here. Yes your blog makes me laugh and wonder and ponder and smile.. OK you can wipe off that grin now. I am really enjoying this blog. :D

phish said...

mystique - you flatter me. and do look me up whenever you are in bombay. but as friends, yes? and try and try hard. its not that tough really. if you want, i can be the unwelcome critic of your photo sessions.

s4ur4bh - than you bro. glad you liked what i have to say. albeit in short sentences.

educatedenemployed - i merely took it as a suggestion. and you will be surprised at how long i can grin.and i enjoy your blog as well. really.

Mystique said...

as friends, duh.
what else??????????