04 April 2008

das futile


A month long absence. Attributed to nothing. Nothing significant anyway. I am in advertising. So while someone else might have an excuse like "I was fixing the nuclear reactor for the space shuttle" or "I was writing a paper about the the economic and social degeneration of spotted cows as against the non-spotted kind", I was busy trying to sell you stuff that you don't need. With a mighty swoosh of the pen I was trying to affect my microscopic world. Just so my peer groups notice me. And maybe someone else.

My apologies. To everyone who likes this place for whatever reason. Thank you for making the effort of dropping a line to figure out whether I was alive. Though I sometimes wasn't. Near death experiences in our field of work involves an ill-fitting garment on the day of a shoot. Or perhaps a typo in the right hand bottom corner of an advertisement that you notice well after release.

So busy have I been that my usual despondent self hasn't been able to react to various despondency-provoking stimuli. I have hardly been self-deprecatory or disillusioned. I didn't have an existential issue. Nor did I stare at beautiful women, thinking that I am in love. At best, I have been mildly sad. Mostly at night when it's quiet and there's nothing much to do anyway.

I haven't been taking any medication. Probably because I am not supposed to. I haven't been downloading music. I haven't been doing too much reading either. I have lost out on 30 days of my life without doing anything that adds value to my being. For 19 hours every day.

Hence, I bought a Playstation Portable.

That's a little Wizard of Id strip that seems to strike a chord somewhere. Created by Johnny Hart and Brant Parker of B.C. fame. Been a big fan over the years. And I wish I knew them personally.

13 comments:

supernova said...

I guess that's what Woody Allen would do in a moment of no real crisis: Playstation.

Anonymous said...

psp - it is the ultimate nirvana after all. you'll lose more than 30 days now! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, poo! Nothing is lost. You’ve created a super-cool role to identify with completely, immerse yourself in totally. I love a top of the line, cleverly devised ad and appreciate and admire the intelligence and talent it takes to pull it off. You ARE the mighty swoosh! And I’m the harried telecom princess! It’s all good, as they say...
Hey, I’m so glad you sprinkled some Phish food in the tank...I was starving! And I’m glad to know the American idle-hands-and-the-devil "mantra" is working for you...busy IS happy! ;-)
KissKiss!

Devil Mood said...

Well, sometimes that's what life is about, they say.
It's so easy to drift into a routine and sleepwalk. Sometimes I feel like I've fallen asleep along the line and I don't know what to do to wake up. (you do this to me - I mean, saying things I shouldn't) ;)

dharmabum said...

i video game? is that what it is? and you bought it? i don't believe this, phish :)

i am beginning to believe that being busy with work is probably the best way of 'not reacting to despondency provoking stimuli', as you have so wonderfully put it. which brings me to the question - are these stimuli purely from the mind, that when the mind is occupied with something, it doesn't react? an age old solution, i am sure, are we just confirming it?

the nights, yes, they sure tend to bring in the sadness. heightened by the number of drinks down.

good to have you back, phish.really good.

void said...

Hey buddy, it's been a while, hasn't it? What is it with the advertising community and PSP? Have a friend at Contract who told me they're all into it over there. I've been thinking about it, but then, I got me a new guitar that's a lot more fun to play with... for me at least. :)

Plus, I'm not in advertising.

Do not let Sony/Apple/Microsoft/Nintendo keep you from posting here! Like Miss Alister pointed out, miss the phishfood!

Gauri Gharpure said...

happy to see this place alive again...

meraj said...

playphish phishplay!

Deepti Bose said...

Oops... I think I put that down in the wrong place...
Anyway...
As I was saying, I'm glad to see you are alive, even if you're only mildly sad, at best.
The dead can't be sad now, can they?

Mystique said...

ah, deigned to come back, have we?
great, PSP, am I the only one not taken in by its charm?
huh.
so.

madelyn said...

I hate those things.

:(

Because of those wretched
games I could not get my normally
bright involved child to read a book
until this week when i bought him
"the outiders" and he insisted on
skipping school so he could stay
home and read it all day.

and those ill fitting garments
are certainly a near death
experience.

yes they are.


glad you are back with that
lovable grouchiness in your
writing:)

rebecca said...

you mean i'm not supposed to be feeling this way? yikes! LOL!

i like your style of writing very much....

Afsha said...

you know.... why dont you come on over to web journalism? advertising is such a thankless job especially for someone so creative.
i'm a web journalist.... and trust me there aint no type you cant fix.... also, life and death situations have no space in out time of day.