11 April 2008

eros stirred


Most of my friends are married. And those who remain, seem to be in a dashed hurry to do so. Infrequently, I hear faint strains of the question being posed to me. I try to smile and answer as politely as I was taught in pre-school a long, long time ago. But I am not averse to the idea. Nor do I aggressively advocate the same. But some things are best left to greater things. It's just that I feel I am still rather immature. There are a lot of things that I want to do more. Besides, there is also the small problem of finding a candidate. Preferably, willing.

I was at a day long shoot yesterday. One of my clients is a big fashion (sic) house. And hence I spend considerable amount of time at photo shoots all over the country. Most of them involve beautiful women. All of them are attractive, approachable with varying levels of intelligence. The chances of making something happen with anyone is remote. Especially by someone like me who is fidgety, insecure and has a day old fuzz. Also I am clueless about the kind of language to employ that facilitates consummation (of any kind). Not to mention, that I am allergic to, if I may, a peculiar kind of silliness, accompanied by snortish giggles, that the female of the species use to continue insipid conversation. Overall, my demeanour is the complete converse of what is known popularly, as a chick magnet.

Hence, it is safe to assume my love affairs are shortish and often leave a lot of things unsaid. I prefer to communicate my very, intense feelings with watery eyes, faint mumbles and subtle, shuffling movements of my feet. The latter I hear is a very potent and promising technique practiced by migratory birds around the world. In season, of course.

It happened yesterday as well. I was shooting with the winners of the Miss India contest. Four of the most beautiful women in the country (or so they say). And it took me all of seventeen seconds to decide who is that I love. I played up to my affection, knowing fully well that nothing is to happen. Alternating between being sweet, a listener, intelligent and talented at the same time. Mild, pathetic attempts at that. She looked interested. Though to be fair she looked interested in everyone who was having a conversation with her. But she was truly delightful and I was really attracted. The shoot ended soon after. And as she walked out with her Mum she waved goodbye and was out of my life. Probably forever.

The best part of all of this is that I envisioned the end even before I left home. The "i-will-think- of- the- worst- case- scenario- then- it- will- not- happen- to- me" theory, I have come to see doesn't hold true for me. I don't even know whether this is Murphy's fault. Or Freud's for that matter. But I do know that this is the story of my life.

And in a strange way I like it. The romantic notion that we will never meet again. Or perhaps the feeling that we will. In another time and place where talking is easier and no professional ethics are under the scanner. Or intentions. Where the laughter is not polite, but free. And where watery eyes are better heard.

In another time and place.

Peanuts by Schulz has a delightful take on love. With Charlie Brown under a tree. Life is easier with a comic book, no?

21 comments:

Mansi Trivedi said...

I love all your posts. All of them. :)

Devil Mood said...

Oh Phish, this post could not have come at a better time for me

I prefer to communicate my very, intense feelings with watery eyes, faint mumbles and subtle, shuffling movements of my feet

That's so Piscean :) Even the feet part. I know how you feel. I too choose "the one I like" at a first glance, but instead of imagining the worst case scenario, I imagine a good one (Isn't that the law of attraction? yada yada yada)...and yet people still leave and see you later. Never again.
Relationships work in my imagination...and even those are not so sweet.

Anonymous said...

You are in an enviable position, Mr. Phish! But while your odds of finding a willing candidate are radically increased by the sheer volume of women you meet, as compared to the average guy’s odds, you really don’t need to worry about a thing…according to my theory. Quickly (because who wants to hear yet another of someone’s unsolicited theories?) it’s this: when you’re 100% ready to find one that makes possible effortless conversation and spontaneous laughter and speaks the wordless language of watery eyes, it’ll happen to you despite you…

…and until then, perhaps we will be more than just satisfied with looks out the window with lazy cigarettes and long walks along the neon-infested streets… ;-)

Anonymous said...

That read like a precious moment to me. For you to enjoy. May be even cherish. What is good about it is that it is all yours to keep and know.

dharmabum said...

laughter not polite, but free - thats a super feeling, phish.

i think people just get married by default, specially in india. i don't know if it is a good thing or not, but its a fact.

in my case, there have been a handful of people over different periods, who i think may have consented. had i asked. the problem was, is, with me. all the time.

kimananda said...

I have no desire to get married, but as I'm probably de facto married anyway, my statement is perhaps not the most authentic.

Back when I wasn't de facto married, I went through a lot of visualizing, ending in nothing. The beauty is the rare occasions when the object of one's affections actually becomes a real person in one's life, even if for a short time (and even if for a longer time, for that matter).

You have a romantic spirit.

phish said...

mansi - you flatter me. thank you. and i am glad you like what i write. i love to see you here as well.

devil mood - relationships work in my imagination too. i have been single for a while, but occasionally when i am desperate to share something, i cook up a situation and go right ahead. fool's world it may be. but i love it. i should talk to you more often :)

missalister - enviable? that's what they all tell me. i wish i knew the meaning of all of this. why, i mean am i like this and not someone sane enough to go through with life with a straighter face. i stumble, almost willfully and enjoy the deviations, the side attractions, the fairgrounds when i should be doing something else. i love the fact that you drop in to encourage me to do so. the rest of them in the physical world aren't this kind.

dharmabum - oh i understand fully. the silent consent.and yet the withdrawal from the self because it didn't feel right. damn.

kimananda - nor have i. and that is my romantic spirit. i fall in love with everything that is beautiful. immature as i am, that is the very recipe for disaster, said she.

Gauri Gharpure said...

i read somewhere even love unreturned has its own rainbow... :)

Gauri Gharpure said...

And i forgot, Shubho Nab Barsho!

rebecca said...

i've a feeling that one day you will meet your watery-eyed nymph who will want you to swoon her away...

and she'll be more than happy to converse with you in the non-allergic way...

you write so well...love your posts.

void said...

Yea.

Mystique said...

oh darn I'm late.
what do I say? you are truly in an enviable position. beautiful women, great job....
stop trying to find love,boss, it'll find you. if it was meant to be...it will. you deserve someone with good conversational skills.....someone who'll make that self esteem skyrocket...
dunno what else to say.
flow with it. i love how you write.

meraj said...

gooseflesh again...splendid stuff!
m

Anonymous said...

like your style!



(please note I did not specify in what)

:D

Miss Iyer said...

The romantic notion that we will never meet again.

Well, I share the same feeling too. I think that kinda relationship is so much better than the other, the more stable (I hear), the long term kind. Those relationships are so damning hard! And Oh! you're rite. Life's a lot easier with (and IN) a comic book :)

Miss Iyer said...

Argh! Why do you guys make things complex by having word verification on!?

Afsha said...

meant to say a long time ago that i really enjoy your style.
couldnt believe when i actually remembered yout blog url from memory left behind four months ago.
keep writing.... ciao

Pooja Nair said...

i left a comment yesterday. it still hasn't shown up here so am giving this another shot.

My comment was "why are you so addorable only in your blog?"

Or did you deliberately not allow my comment?

Anyway, all i meant to say was that you are a darling for writing your heart out the way you do...

It's a rare quality...

(i am sure you like this comment better ;))

Nisha said...

of whatever little i know of you..most women like that. seriously..!!
soo..you better watch out :)

Anonymous said...

Hello....... hello?
It's me, videoxy, radiotooth, whatever you want to call me. Can phish come out to play?

Bondhu said...

I love the post :)... quite an admiring one...and relative also :)