01 May 2008

conquests and techniques; a synthesis of greatness

I have been out again. In my head i.e. Trying vigorously to fight the inertia that settles in due to work, losing reason, engineering mini-failures, deconstructing the moral fabric and shifting logistics. Each time as I decided, this was it and sat down gassy-eyed, in front of the keyboard, my fingers failed me. The mind decided to play truant and the nervous system busied itself to make all the involuntary actions as painful as possible. The words came jumbled and no matter how hard I tried, stubbornly refused to obey and stand in a coherent line.

But I did find time to pick up on a few lost strands of my life. I started watching the now long since downloaded (yes, I do indulge in occasional piracy) episodes of Heroes. I had stopped mid-way of the first season, same time last year. And though I have lost my partner in crime to the world, I decided enough was enough. I needed my dose of digitally-enhanced pulp (if at the cost of a wasteland of memories, so be it). So I crept into it with the same nervousness and perseverance found amongst gangly individuals with names like Frederick Entwistle, Esq. or Norton Bladderby, when they decide to recite scabrous prose to pimply women at hash parties.

And how I raced through it. The time warps, the monologues about the mind, the scientific impossibilities (yet), the genetic mutations and the like. I am never short of surprise at how the packaged pop culture that America has thrived on, has been so successful the world over. Before I launch into a pithy commentary on the human condition and how all of us, regardless of race and sociological patterns, essentially yearn for the same kind of powers (in this case, invisibility, ability to fly, regeneration, reading minds etc) I felt a distinct change in myself. For starters, I felt light and heady. I couldn't feel my legs (maybe that can be attributed to pins and needles) and I was strangely ecstatic. Surely, I thought, surely I too am one of them. A hero with a unique and deliberate set of abilities. And these, just like the ones in the show, are just too powerful for me to control and exploit.

For instance, my ability to procrastinate is legendary. I can postpone anything for any given period of time. Sometimes, forgetting as a whole, what I shelved in the first place. Next, is my phenomenal power to shove things under the carpet. Third, my razor sharp (or thin) will power. My emotional resistance, is probably as bad as my physical one. I am what one would call of a delicate disposition. Fourth, my belief that everything will be okay in the end. My advice to those who believe the same, is simple. Don't.

Maybe, I am being too harsh on myself. Maybe. But I am currently experiencing these powers. Sometimes, they are so strong I have no option but to submit myself to their whims and follies. With consequences, that doesn’t really need a soothsayer to predict. So I lie low, spending most of my time reading, swimming and trying to touch tennis balls with a racquet. The books look heavy. The water's too cold. And someone increased the size of the court while I was away.

If anyone of you needs my services as a hero, therefore, do call me. I seem to be available. Unless of course, my aforementioned powers take over.

That's Super Duck, the cock-eyed wonder. A comic book from the Golden Age. Drawn by staff artist Al Fagaly, I stumbled upon the exploits in the early editions of Archie Comics. And today, after many a year, I know what he might have felt like after a hard day of misadventures.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Is it not obvious that I need your services? You forgot the superpower of conveying the intangable ideas that slam against the inside of our bodies and minds, or trail behind us, or block our way, threatening us with thoughts of love, hope, anger, lonliness, reverence, magic. Yeah, you forgot to mention THAT one.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the indefatigably adrift Phish of these fateful, unhitched days… If I had a clue myself and wasn’t so sure I’d screw up, I’d try to fix what ails you ;-) As fellow Pisces I’m afraid we are for one another less heroes and more rally-rousers of existing vices. Maybe some sage and stalwart Scorpio or Cancer captains will come along and keep us both from crashing into the rocks of self-destruction…

Anonymous said...

I am not really sure if things to turn out OK in the end. I find we get so used to our states pitiable or not that they seem OK eventually. Bearable. Even acceptable.

Always a treat reading your posts. You penned so well the inertia most bloggers I suppose experience.

Devil Mood said...

I have days like that, pisces days, phish days...days when I never seem to wake up, I just drift in a cloud, doing whatever needs to be done to survive (eat, drink, sleep)...my mind seems to be working but there's no will and no real direction. Today was one of those days. It's like everything is foggy and I can't make myself be allert to the real world. How odd are we?

I never really got into Heroes. Possibly the genetic mutations put me off.

Unknown said...

nice. that's quite a list.

void said...

Heroes I've seen, and Prison Break too. But they're all shadowed by the single greatest TV show in the history of mankind: Entourage.

Speaking of superpowers. I found I had one the other day. I'm the Understandinator. I understand stuff. Well, not stuff, but people...and their motivations. It's not invisibility, x-ray vision or ignorance, but it'll do.

phish said...

radiotooth - the idea that one can move people with ideas is something very powerful. and we do it to each other. so the powers are nullified. really.

missalister - as i said. the search is theirs for the taking. i am done. all i really need is a dog. and a giant wooden bookcase. i love your comments.

devil mood - j, we are odd. deviled days or phish days. i have decided i am not going to let anyone enter and torment my being, unless it sports brunette hair and a lot of love. till such time my wall of daydreams stands unaffected.

meghna - ah. you might be familiar with a few.

void - you've got me lurking around the darkest corners of cyberspace for entourage. now now.

Anonymous said...

ha. i don't have a tv but if it did i'd surely watch the stupidest trash there was. preferably a soap opera, with fakeness abound.
i get this from my dad: books are for the intellect; tv is for the trash. (he reads things like Dickens and watches game shows).