06 August 2008

intermission

2.30 in the morning is a fine time to reassess your life. The fading sounds of sleepy vehicles, the rhythmic pattern of rain, the silent hum of the air conditioner and the distorted, moving light patterns on the ceiling create the perfect setting. To the cranking of rusty machines in your head, as you twist the handles of memory, wincing with each painful print it pushes out in exhaustion.

So I decide to write. I need to put an end to this break. Time and I have severe compatibility issues. Actually, like most things in my life, I have never given it the importance it deserves.

I went to watch a film yesterday. After 16 months of finding excuses, yesterday I finally ran out. The film was good enough. I quite enjoyed it. Drank two-thirds diluted coke. Used the men's washroom twice. Choked on a popcorn kernel. Smoked the exact length of a cigarette with three seconds to spare. I also managed to fall in love with the actress (I still am, I think).

In the last few days my social self was at its best. I was invited to a friend's house for dinner. A college re-union of sorts. Most of these people are now married. I sat there slowly getting drunk as the women fluttered their wings around me cooing infrequently that I should be next in line. Their husbands just looked at me glassy-eyed like cattle after yet another exciting afternoon of chewing cud.

I also met up with Gaurav (read: the life of others). I was one of the chosen few he decided to give away his stuff to. We got talking (got dangerously drunk on some extremely potent martinis actually) I never really wanted any of his stuff. And I told him so (though he is giving away a selection of his precious books to me). I really wanted to meet him and figure out a few things. About him. And maybe, in the process, a little about me as well.

That's also because I am a little confused today. Setting up the apartment has taken up most of my productive hours in the last few weeks. I have spent a lot of time thinking of ways to ensure it is liveable. And likeable. To get the futon at the exact angle that faciliates the flow of positive energy and yet make the living room look bigger. To carefully select and arrange my assortment of framed pop art posters. To get lamps that best reflect my delicate disposition. To ease out the slightest oohs and aahs out of the people I allow inside. Which in turn helps me to mould their view of me just as I want. Without seemingly trying too hard.

And I wanted to meet someone who was really shedding all of that. I was interested to know if that means we are really changing our intrinsic selves. Our core. That what makes us, us. I wanted to understand if we are really giving away mere objects or are we really shedding ourselves of all the little layers that we have accumulated since birth. There is no real answer. Gaurav's situation allows him to experiment with the concept. Something that gives him more elbow room. And I wish him luck in his endeavours.

I, on the other hand, find myself in a cupboard. Stifled and yet comfortable. But I don't chide myself. There's still a lot to do. A lot to find out in my cultivated and nurtured darkness. And only once I know what exactly I am hiding from can I face it completely. The inertia, the sleeplessness, the longing, the battery of self-abuse can only stop then.

The mission statement has been written. I need to manage my information systems and processors more efficiently. To better understand my motivators. To strive to meet the exacting standards of self can only be possible once we have the necessary qualifiers. One that enables me to stay on the road. And not meander away into the fields to have chats with smiling scarecrows.

Or develop a sudden, intense schoolboy crush on an actress.

Theology was never my favourite. But Peanuts is different. No?

9 comments:

Pooja Nair said...

I like you just the way you are!

You better believe it! :)

Devil Mood said...

Well, you can marry me if you want. But I must warn you I always choke on popcorn. There's something about the little bits of corn that get stuck in my airways. I need someone to pat me in the back when that happens.

Smiling Dolphin said...

liked your last two posts - a simple thing like setting up home is so differently approached by men and women....

phish said...

pooja - such a nice thing to say. wish everyone thought like that. especially the actress, but i dont really know her. yet.

devilmood - a pat on the back, yes. i am a decent back patter all right. no one has ever given me the choice to marry them before. i am really overwhelmed and suspicious :)

dolphin - so good to see you dolphin. and thank you so much for dropping in.

atul - i wish everything is ok. and soon. this is just not right. cant even imagine what you might be going through.

Anonymous said...

peanuts is definitely different =)

meraj said...

did you have that tea at five in the morning?

Anonymous said...

Hey, I keep trying to leave notes for you, but the Blogger Post Gods won't let me...Where do I send the hat?

void said...

So there you go, trying to change yourself, when everyone here's convinced you're perfect just the way the you are.

Well, far be it for me to talk like I know any better, so go ahead.

I'll just ask one question: Can you, or anyone for that matter, shed any of it, let alone all of it?

Cormac McCarthy wrote in No Country For Old Men, you are who you were. Or something like that.

If you shed your past away, your sins and your tragedies, what are you left with?

Baby you?

While the naivety and innocence is appealing, it's not something I'd advocate for anyone over the age of 18, especially for anyone over the age of 18 in the advertising biz.

Prove me wrong.

And btw, it's perfectly fine about the tag.

void said...

On a side note, movie's/actress's name?