13 August 2008

ashtray

All I really need now is a lazy cigarette. To create a cloud bank of suspended blue smoke coils over my head. Much like a speech blurb in a comic book that the artist forgot to letter in. Condemning the character to eternal silence. And you never know if his facial expression is contorted in laughter or in pain.

There are days that last a thousand hours. And all you need is a warm, safe smell to crawl into at the end of them


Life in Hell is a weekly comic strip by Matt Groening. The strip features anthropomorphic rabbits and a pair of gay lovers called Akbar and Jeff. Groening uses these characters to explore a wide range of topics about love, sex, work, and death. His drawings are full of expressions of angst, alienation, self-loathing, and fear of inevitable doom. And I can see why some of you are smiling.

16 comments:

Devil Mood said...

Oh poor Phish...
So what smell are you crawling into? Cigarette smell? That's very bad for you, but then if it makes you extremely happy, I won't nag you today...

Anonymous said...

I love Life in Hell.
Here, I'm lighting you a cigarette ::::right now::::

phish said...

devil - i guess it was cigarette smoke last night. though in my head i can think of very good substitutes :)

chrispito - a long drag later, i slept.

Pooja Nair said...

A day that lasts a 1000 hours.. Seriously? In Bombay?

void said...

I wish I could tell you how well I understand.

But this moment, words won't come as easy as I might.

Maybe in a minute, things will change.

Light up, light up...

Anonymous said...

safe stinks of comfort. but i know what you mean.

Anonymous said...

The notion of love, the long, fallen ash of imagined action, the red glow alive in the dying detachedness, all within the minutes a lazy cigarette lasts. I could use one as well, to put things into perspective for even that long...

Anonymous said...

Reminds one of the song which went something like

Zindagi cigarette ka dhuan
ye dhuan jaata hai kahaan?
ya kahin jaata hi nahi?!

Sounds like you're having fun! :)

Unknown said...

love it.

Gauri Gharpure said...

your posts are your moments commenting on which seems awkward to me.. but this is purely about writing--- 'a warm, safe smell to crawl into'.. You write so so well!

dharmabum said...

sometimes, the smell suffocates, and u wanna get out, but well, that 'safe' smell, i get the idea.

how u been, brother?

Anonymous said...

Hi phish

You have received an award on my blog.

Please click on it and keep it going (somewhat like a tag)

Anonymous said...

Hat?

Anonymous said...

Dammit, I haven't sent the hat yet... I will this weekend, if not sooner.

Anonymous said...

Shit. I still haven't sent the hat. I don't work tomorrow. I'll do it after I see Sarah for lunch.

Anonymous said...

hmm..glorifying smoking...being a non smoker, i always keep asking people how they feel after a smoke :P .. thanks for answering it!! :D