06 January 2009

redo


This is a time when all are hopeful. When everyone is obsessed with shedding the old and looking forward to newer things. To stronger relationships. To better investments. To tastier diet plans. To faster, more fulfilling gratifications. To functional governments. To hair-fall products that actually work. To new-fangled substitutes for loneliness. Towards betterment. And in my quest for a future, enhanced me, I too will be abandoning a lot of my possessions. My intangible accumulations of more than two decades that I will give up, perhaps forever. An eclectic mix of habits, traits, mannerisms, fears and anxieties collected from a variety of sources. Gun-toting heroes of Spaghetti Westerns, hand-me downs from not-so perfect gene pools and dated, fictional idols from books.

And as I carefully pull each one out from deep within me, I remember a former self from a few years back. Comfortable, irreplaceable and invincible. And if only I could get back, to have a little chat with myself and exhibit the most pathetic specimen of my casual recklessness. Also known as, Me.

Above: Calvin and Hobbes travel time in a cardboard box. I think Bill Watterson could see the future.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that definitely is a wish. Good luck. I miss the old me too.I think I liked me then, more.

Life does happen. We cannot deny that. I guess the real challenge is to hold onto yourself.

p.s I love the new template.So happy to see updates from you. Having missed so many, I realized I must have been away too long.

Devil Mood said...

Ouch, isn't that a bit to hard on your-self?
Do you think the old me would be terrified and do everything differently? Ah, what's the point of asking these questions?
Just be you!

Pooja Nair said...

i think it happens to us all at some point - feeling the need to redo..

usually leading to good things...

all the best to you phish!

Mystique said...

i like the new me. i cringe when i think of the old me.....
the new me....is at least halfway towards what i see myself as...
you got resolutions?

Smiling Dolphin said...

as someone who doesn't know you at all, except from your posts, gosh this is frightening...!

errormsg! said...

i know i am not my former self. but i cannot tell the difference.how does one know?

but i do beleive your new 'self' will be as invincible and irreplaceeable :) comfort isnt that important anyway!

Bondhu said...

Tomar lekha , is quite a treat to read....like the way u relate apt visuals with most of them.Will keep visiting.

Ashmita said...

Yes, sometimes life does screw u over from a better someone to a pathetic no one. It sucks.
But, for me, im still holding on to the " Everything happens for a reason" thread. And trying to shake off the negative nancy armour and trying to remember what used to make me be a better person before.

Also, yes. Bill watterson could see the future. He used to live there.

madelyn said...

I am actually quite pleased with
my gene pool

flushing the fears down the
drain however

:)

dharmabum said...

i'd probably find many former selfs, as i continue finding joy in the casual recklessness.

may you find yourself.oh, and thanks much for the inivitation - am honoured :)

Shini said...

It takes guts to better yourself, all I can wish you is good luck! Hope your energy does not fade away as the year progresses and continues to inspire the likes of my soul! :)

dharmabum said...

hey, long time no post. all well i hope?